Vegan Vanilla and Berry Layer Cake is loaded with sugar, vegan butter, flour, maple syrup and lots of other good stuff 😉 But it’s also not meant for every day. It’s a treat, so enjoy it in moderation, but don’t be afraid of enjoying treats every now and again either. See more vegan recipes here.
- 6 cups (800g) Plain All Purpose Flour
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 cups (440g) Caster Sugar
- 4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 3.5 cups (800ml) Almond milk
- 1 cup (235ml) Sunflower Oil
Frosting and Filling:
- 1 cup (200g) Vegan Butter
- 1.5 cups (220g) Powdered Sugar (icing sugar)
- 1 cup Fresh Raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line four 9 inch round cake tins.
- In an electric mixer, mix together the caster sugar and sunflower oil until well combined. Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract and almond and mix well.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder, then add to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, mixing well between additions. Once all the flour is added, mix the batter until completely smooth.
- Separate evenly between the four cake tins and bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool in the cake tins for 20 minutes, then remove them and let them cool completely on a cooling rack.
- To make the filling and frosting, beat the vegan butter on a high speed in an electric mixer for a couple of minutes. Then add the powdered sugar in three separate additions, mixing gently to avoid a sugar cloud. Once the sugar is all combined, beat on a high speed for 3-4 minutes until pale and fluffy.
- Separate 1/3 of the frosting into a separate bowl for the outside, then add the fresh raspberries to the remaining 2/3, stirring them and squashing slightly with a fork so they release some juice.
- Layer the cakes with the raspberry filled frosting, then use the remaining 1/3 to cover the top and sides. Top the cake with some more fresh fruit if desired.
- If you choose to add flowers to the top of the cake for decoration, ensure they are food safe flowers.