Banana Berry Baked French Toast is a delicious and easy way to get a healthy breakfast together for one or a crowd! A family friendly dish that will appeal to all tastebuds.
- 8 slices wholemeal bread – I used gluten free wholemeal bread
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon plus extra for dusting
- 2 cups frozen berries any variety or use mixed berries
- 1-2 bananas
- butter or olive oil for greasing baking dish
- Greek yogurt to serve
- honey or maple syrup to serve
- This recipe is best started the day/night before, to allow for the bread to completely soak up the egg mixture.
- Lightly grease a large baking dish (pictured in a rectangular baking dish measuring approximately 32cm x 22.5cm). Scatter 1 cup of the frozen berries across the base of the dish.
- Slice the bread into triangular quarters and lay them evenly across the dish, overlapping them slightly.
- Slice the bananas into rounds and tuck the banana slices in between the bread. Scatter the remaining cup of berries over the dish.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, honey/maple syrup, vanilla and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Pour the mixture evenly over the baking dish. Very gently, press the bread into the liquid to help it soak in.
- Cover the dish and place in the fridge, and ideally let it sit overnight. (You can speed up the soaking process a little by more aggressively pressing the bread down into the egg mixture. Try to let the mixture soak for 2 hours at least).
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. When the dish is ready, sprinkle over a little extra cinnamon and bake for approximately 35 minutes, or until the bread on top is starting to brown and crisp up at the edges.
- Serve French Toast warm with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a drizzle of honey/maple syrup, if desired.
*For a gluten free breakfast, use gluten free bread.
*For a dairy free breakfast, use olive oil to grease the baking dish, and use a non-dairy milk like almond, rice or coconut milk. Serve with coconut yoghurt instead of Greek yoghurt.
*Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in the microwave or oven.