This Triple Honey Chocolate Trifle is for the violet crumble lovers. It’s a dessert with a nostalgic flavor, just try to resist this! For ultimate treat you should try this Glitzy Chocolate Ice Cream Trifle recipe.
- 120g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pure (thin) cream
- 1/2 tsp sunflower oil
- 2L (8 cups) thickened cream
- 2 cups (560g) thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 620g chocolate chip biscuits, crushed
- 2 tbs Grand Marnier
- 1/2 cup (175g) honey
Honey mead jelly:
- 6 titanium-strength gelatin leaves
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 cups (500ml) honey mead (from selected bottle shops)
- 2 cups (440g) caster sugar
- 1/2 cup (175g) golden syrup
- 1 tbs bicarbonate of soda
- For honey mead jelly: soak gelatin leaves in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes to soften. Place the honey and 1/4 cup (60ml) mead in a saucepan over high heat.
- Cook, swirling pan, for 2 minutes or until honey dissolves. Remove from heat. Squeeze excess water from the gelatin, then stir into the honey mixture until melted and combined.
- Add the remaining 1 3/4 cups (440ml) mead to gelatin mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to a 4L trifle dish, cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4-6 hours to set.
- Grease and line two baking trays with baking paper.
- For the honeycomb: place sugar, golden syrup and 1/2 cup (125ml) water in a saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, swirling pan occasionally, for 6-8 minutes until dark golden.
- Working quickly, remove pan from heat and whisk in bicarbonate of soda (honeycomb will foam).
- Pour into prepared trays, tilting to spread evenly (do not stir – it’s a good idea to have a second person help tilt the second tray while you tilt the first). Set aside for 1 hour to harden.
- For the chocolate sauce: place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set aside. Place the thin cream in a saucepan over high heat. When the cream starts to bubble around edges, pour over the chocolate. Set aside for 2 minutes or until melted, then stir until smooth. Stir through oil and set aside until needed.
- Using electric beaters, and in batches if necessary, whisk thickened cream to stiff peaks, then fold in yoghurt.
- Combine biscuits and Grand Marnier in a bowl. Break honeycomb into pieces and place in a separate bowl, reserving large shards for the top of the trifle.
- To assemble, spread one-quarter cream mixture over honey mead jelly, drizzle with one-third honey and top with half the biscuit mixture.
- Top biscuits with another one-quarter cream mixture and one-third honey, then scatter over half the crushed honeycomb.
- Top honeycomb with another one-quarter cream mixture and one-third honey, and top with the remaining biscuit mixture. Finish with a final layer of cream mixture and top with remain honeycomb, arranging larger shards upright.
- Drizzle chocolate trifle with the chocolate sauce to serve.