These Peanut Butter & Cookie Knots pastries are filled with chunks of cookies and peanut butter. They are great for dessert or with your morning coffee. You could use any type of chocolate cookie or candy, which would pair well with peanut butter. If you like peanut butter, check peanut butter double chocolate delight recipe.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm buttermilk (110°-115°)
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups creamy peanut butter or Nutella
- 24 Oreo cookies, crushed (about 2-2/3 cups)
- 1 large egg, beaten, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Coarse sea salt
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm buttermilk. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 portions. Roll each into 12×4-in. rectangle. Spread 1 rectangle with 1/4 cup peanut butter to within 1/2 in. of edges; sprinkle with 1/3 cup crushed Oreos. Top with another rectangle of dough. Pinch around edges to seal.
- Using a sharp knife, cut rectangle lengthwise in half; carefully turn each half cut side up. Loosely twist strips around each other, keeping cut surfaces facing up. Shape into a ring, pinching ends together to seal. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough, peanut butter and crushed Oreos. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush rolls with beaten egg. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Cool on pans on wire racks for 30 minutes.
- Combine confectioners’ sugar and milk; drizzle over cooled cookie knots. Sprinkle with sea salt and, if desired, additional crushed Oreos.