These Apple Turnovers are perfect for breakfast or even snack. A delicious homemade crust filled with a tasty apple pie filling, the perfect anytime treat.
- 2 1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons flour (300 grams)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt*
- 1/4 cup butter (frozen and shredded)** (50 grams)
- 3/4 cup milk (whole or 2 %) (180 grams)
- 1 large egg beaten
*If using unsalted butter then add 1/4 teaspoon salt.
**I find frozen grated butter easier to mix but you can also cut in cold cubed butter with a pastry blender if preferred.
Apple Pie Filling
- 2-3 apples peeled and diced
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4-1/2 cup packed brown sugar (55-110 grams)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1/4 cup water (58 grams)
- 1/2 cup powdered / icing sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cream (whole or whipping)
- Pre-heat oven to 375° (190° celsius). Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and mix with a fork. Add the milk and egg, and quickly mix together, move to a lightly floured flat surface, and knead lightly until dough comes together (dough might be too sticky, if so add a little more flour until it is just manageable, it must remain soft and a little sticky). Wrap in plastic and refrigerate while you make the apple pie filling.
Apple Pie Filling
- In a small pot add the small diced apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, corn starch and water, stir to combine, heat on low heat until thickened, approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- PUTTING IT TOGETHER
- Remove the dough from fridge and roll flat, about pie crust thickness or even a little thicker if you want (be sure to lightly flour flat surface, top of dough and rolling pin). Roll the dough about pie crust thickness or even a little thicker if you want, and roll into a square shape (as much as possible).
- With a sharp knife cut out squares, medium to large are the best size. Brush the squares with melted butter(melt 1-2 tablespoons butter), and place approximately 1-2 heaping teaspoons of the apple pie filling on one side of square.
- Fold one corner over the other (to form a triangle) and seal edges with a fork dipped in flour (or use a pasta wheel). Place the turnovers on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Brush the turnovers lightly with milk and bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly, eat plain or dust with powdered sugar or drizzle with vanilla glaze. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla and cream, whisk until smooth (if you like it thinner add more cream). Drizzle over turnovers before serving.