French Gourmet Desserts looks amazing and it tastes even better! Vanilla and cherry is one of the best combinations for any dessert.
For the sponge cake
- 2eggs (separated)
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 4 teaspoons cherry schnapps
- For the jelly
- 2 sheets gelatin
- ⅔ cup cherry juice
For the vanilla cream
- ⅞ cup milk
- ½ vanilla pod (halved lengthways, seeds scraped out)
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- red currant
- chocolate curl
- Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C in a fan oven), 400°F, gas 6. Grease four round ramekins (8 cm in diameter) and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- To make the sponge, beat the egg whites with the sugar. Mix together the flour, almonds, cocoa and cornflour and then add the egg yolks and the egg whites alternating between the two.
- Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking tray so that you can later cut out 4 circles 8 cm in diameter. Bake for 8-10 min. Remove from the oven, knock from the baking tray, remove the paper and leave to cool. Cut out the four circles and drizzle with the schnapps.
- To make the jelly, soften the gelatine in cold water. Wring out and heat the cherry juice. Dissolve the gelatine in the juice and pour into the bottom of the ramekins. Chill until set.
- To make the cream, place the milk in a pot along with the vanilla seeds and pod and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until creamy. Gradually stir in the flour.
- Slowly stir in the warm milk and return everything to the pot. Remove the vanilla pod and beat on a low heat until the cream thickens. Do not allow to boil!
- Leave to cool until the cream begins to set. Then transfer to the ramekins on top of the jelly. Place the sponge circles on top and chill for at least 30 min.
- Knock out of the ramekins and serve gourmet garnished with redcurrants and chocolate curls.